- 1 c. Tofu, firm, cubed
- 1 c. mushrooms, shittake, or Cloud ear
- 12 oz. Bamboo shoots, sliced into strips
- 1 c. baby carrots
- 3/4 c. Vegetable broth
- 1/4 c. Rice vinegar
- 1/4 c. Soy sauce
- 2 T. Ginger root, peeled and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.-.4 tsp. Asian Chili sauce, or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 T. cornstarch
- 1/4 c. cold water
- Soak dried mushrooms in 3.5 cups hot water for 20 minutes to soften them.
- Mince the ginger and garlic and throw in the slow cooker (stir boullion cubes to dissolve them if that’s what you used). If you’re using liquid vegetable broth, add it to the crock.
- Cube the tofu and cut bamboo shoots into strips. Add tofu and bamboo shoots to the slow cooker, along with the carrots, vinegar, soy sauce, and chili sauce.
- Remove mushrooms from water. If using boullion cube method, add this water to slow cooker. If not, save or discard water as you wish.
- Slice the mushrooms into long thin strips and add them to the crock.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover. Cook for 6-8 hours on Low.
Slow Cooker Hot and Sour Soup is a great starter for many of our Chinese slow cooker meals that I have on the website! So so good!
Optional: If you want the soup a little thicker, add 3 T. corn starch to 1/4 cup Cold water and whip until smooth, add to soup, heat another 20 – 30 minutes to heat through!
Note: If using boullion cubes instead of broth, heat 1 cups of water in your slow cooker on high and add 1 boullion cubes. Also if you like your soup with more broth, you should definitely add it.