Cooking Time:4 hours total
Ingredients1 c. pumpkin, canned
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
16 oz. angel food cake mix
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
Today is National Angel Food Cake day. Yes, there is such a day – and why not? Angel Food Cake has been around since the late 19th Century and was named from its airy lightness. It’s said to be the “food of angels!” (according to Wikipedia) Slow CookerPumpkin Angel Food Cake with Caramel Sauce is a twist on a traditional recipe. When baked, angel food cake is made in a bundt pan but since that doesn’t fit in a slow cooker, placing the can of sweetened condensed milk in the center will still give you the traditional bundt cake shape. Enjoy!
- Thoroughly grease a 4-Quart Round Slow Cooker.
- Prepare the angel food cake mix according directions on the box.
- In a medium bowl, mix together pumpkin, spice, and vanilla.
- Fold and swirl pumpkin mix into angel food mix until well incorporated.
- Remove the label from the sweetened condensed milk. Grease all around the sides of the can and place in the center of the slow cooker.
- Pour cake mix into slow cooker around the greased can.
- Cover. Cook on High for 2 hours or Low for 3 hours.
- After 2 hours, check cake with a toothpick to test for doneness.
- Use pot holders and remove the sweetened condensed milk can and set aside.
- Gently invert the cake and place on a baking rack to cool.
- Return the can and 2 cups of hot water (surrounding the can) to the cooker for the caramel to continue to cook for 2 hours, while the cake cools.
- When done, remove the can and allow to cool. Carefully open to reveal the caramel. Drizzle caramel over the cake to serve.
Crock Pot Girl