- 1/2 c. butter
- 6 Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 T. flour
- 5 c. water
- ½ c. red wine
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 42 oz. beef broth
- 1 Large French baguette
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
What an indulgence it is to have a really tasty Slow Cooker Fancy French Onion Soup. Your guests or family will think you slaved away in the kitchen. Shh…we won’t tell…
- Melt butter in crock, stir in sugar.
- Place onions in butter, toss to coat; cover and crock on HIGH 3-4 hours, or until well caramelized. (No need to do this step if you have made my caramelized onions recipe previously).
- Stir in flour until well blended with the onion juices. Add water, red wine, Worcestershire, garlic, bay leaves, salt & pepper to taste, and beef broth.
- Cover and crock on HIGH for 1 hour, then reduce heat to LOW; crock 2 additional hours.
- Cut 8, 1-inch thick slices of bread from loaf. Toast the bread slices at 325 degrees until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 8 oven-safe bowls. Place 1 slice toasted bread on top of the soup in each bowl, and cover with a cheese slice. Place soup bowls on a cookie sheet for easier handling.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, or just until cheese is melted.
NOTE: If you have made my Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions previously, you can use these to make this soup. Just eliminate the onions and butter in this recipe, and follow the directions as stated.