- 4 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 3 - 4 c. chicken stock
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 c. sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 oz. can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 c. corn
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream or Half-n-Half (optional)
- 1/4 c. shredded cheddar for garnish
The traditional winter comfort staple gets a Latin update in this delicious Slow Cooker Southwestern Potato Soup.
- Place the potatoes in crock; sprinkle with paprika, and add 1 cup of the chicken stock into the slow cooker.
- Cover and crock on HIGH for 2 hours, or until the potatoes are just tender.
- Transfer 2/3 of potatoes to a food processor or blender, along with the cooking liquid. Add the garlic. Blend or process until smooth.
- Return the potato purée to the slow cooker and stir in the shredded cheese, corn, the remaining 2-3 cups stock, heavy cream or Half-n-Half, green chiles, cumin, and cilantro.
- Cover and crock on LOW 1 hour longer, or until the soup is heated.
- You can add additional chicken stock or broth if the soup is too thick, or mash the remaining potato chunks if you’d like it thicker.
- If desired, garnish with additional cilantro, sour cream, and shredded cheddar when serving.
NOTE: For a vegetarian option, replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock.