- 2 tsp. fennel seeds, ground
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and finely diced
- 1 c. pearl barley or brown rice
- 1/2 c. asparagus spears, chopped
- 2 T. shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1-1/4 c. water, divided
- 1/3 c. dry white wine
- 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 c. pitted black olives, chopped
- 1 T. lemon zest
- 1 c. sliced mushrooms (optional)
- black pepper, to taste
This recipe is easy and flavorful, and a great alternative to regular rice or potatoes. Impress your family and/or friends with this recipe for Slow Cooker Asparagus & Fennel Risotto.
- Crease crock with olive oil. Grind fennel seeds and combine with diced fennel bulb, barley (or rice), asparagus, (optional: mushrooms), shallot, and garlic; add to crock.
- Add all of chicken broth, water, and wine to crock; stir to combine.
- Cover and crock on LOW 2-3 hours, or until the barley or rice is tender, but remains chewy and creamy.
- Next, add Parmesan, olives, lemon zest and pepper into the risotto.
- Add a little extra hot water to risotto if you desire a creamier dish.
OPTIONAL: I like to add Mushrooms to this dish, as I love the blend of all the flavors! YUM!