- 1/2 c. butter flavored shortening
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 c. quick cooking oats
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 c. milk
- optional: 3/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate
- optional: 3/4 c. coconut
- optional: 1/2 c. nuts
Never throw out a brown, mushy banana again! I love recipes that use up things that might go to waste otherwise – like this Slow Cooker Oatmeal Banana Bread!
- In the bottom of your oval 6 quart slow cooker, place a rack or crumble tin foil to make a rack, to place your bread/loaf pan on the top. This helps the steam from the slow cooker circulate under the bread/loaf pan for even cooking.
- Slow cooker needs to be turned onto High.
- Cream the shortening and sugar together. Next add eggs and vanilla, and beat until fluffy.
- Gradually add in the flour, oatmeal, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Lastly mix in the bananas and milk until blended well.
- Optional: Add in Chocolate Chips or coconut! Also very tasty!
- Greased your bread/loaf pan, make sure it fits inside your slow cooker.
- Place on top of rack or foil rack.
- Place 2-4 thicknesses of paper towel or dish clothe over the top of the slow cooker. This will absorb the moisture so it will not drip onto your bread.
- Placing lid snugly on top of towel.
- Cover. Cook for 2-3 hours on HIGH.
- Do a toothpick test to make sure the bread is done and remove loaf pan. (Toothpick test is to stick toothpick in the middle of the bread and if it comes out clean, the bread is done. Also the bread will break away from the edge of the pan.)
- Let cool and then serve.
Nutrition Facts exclude optional ingredients.