- 1 (16 oz) package of shell macaroni (cooked)
- 1/2 cup of stick margarine or butter (melted)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups fat-free half & half
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (can use 2%)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- OPTIONAL SUBSTITUTION for condensed cheddar cheese soup:
- 3 T. butter
- 3 T. flour
- 1 c. milk
- 1 c. cheese, Cheddar
Slow Cooker Creamiest Mac & Cheese really IS the creamiest and your kids will never ask you for that blue box of macaroni & cheese again! Many of you have mentioned that you prefer to stay away from canned condensed soups, so if you’d like a homemade version (that is less expensive and doesn’t have any additives you may worry about) scroll to the bottom of this recipe. Enjoy!
- Cook macaroni according to box directions; drain.
- Place cooked shells in a 5-quart lined or greased slow cooker; add margarine and stir. Cover.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine soup and the half & half, stirring until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs and dry mustard; stir.
- Add cheese and stir until melted. Sauce should be smooth.
- Pour cheese sauce over the shells in the crock.
- Cover & Crock on LOW for about 2-4 hours.
- Season with pepper or top with bacon bits, if desired, before serving.
Optional Substitute Recipe for Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup (NOW included in main recipe ingredient list as a Optional Substitution for Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup):
Melt 3 T. butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add 3 T. of flour and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in 1 cup of milk. Return to the saucepan and bring contents to a gentle boil. (keep whisking until thickened) Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Salt to taste. Use this in replacement of the Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup called for in this recipe.