- 28 oz. tomatoes, diced, canned with juice
- 1 c. finely diced celery
- 1 c. finely diced carrots
- 1 c. finely diced onions
- 1 tsp. dried oregano or 1 T fresh oregano
- 1 T. dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1 c. Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 c. butter
- 2 c. half and half, warmed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
1. Put tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano, basil, and bay leaf in a large crock pot.
2. Cover. Cook on Low for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.
3. About 30 minutes before serving prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth.
4. Transfer all back into the crock pot. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper. Add additional basil and oregano if needed; the crock pot does a number on spices and they get bland over time, so don’t be afraid to always season to taste at the end.
5. Cover. Cook on Low for another 30 minutes or so until ready to serve.
Crock Pot Girl