- 8 oz. sausage, hot Italian, bulk
- 1 eggplant, medium
- 28 oz. tomatoes, Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes in puree, cut up, canned
- 8 oz. mushrooms, fresh cremini and/or button, sliced
- 6 oz. tomato paste, can Italian-style
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped
- 1/2 c. wine, dry red
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. oregano, assorted snipped fresh herbs (such as basil, oregano, thyme, and/or Italian [flat-leaf] parsley)
- 1/3 c. Kalamata, olives, pitted or other Italian olives, sliced
- Salt and ground black pepper (optional)
- 6 c. pasta, penne, hot cooked (or pasta that you have on hand)
- 1/4 c. cheese, Parmesan, grated or shredded
- 2 T. nuts, pine, toasted (optional)
Slow Cooker Pasta with Eggplant Sauce is one of those dishes you will want to serve to your special guests… So GOOD!
- Cook Sausage until brown in a skillet over medium-high heat until brown.
- Drain fat from Sausage.
- Peel eggplant, cutting eggplant into 1-inch pieces.
- Combine sausage, eggplant, tomatoes in puree, mushrooms, tomato paste, onion, wine, and garlic in a 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours or on High for 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
- Stir in herbs and olives. If desired, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Prepare pasta as directed on package approximately 20 minutes before you are ready to serve!
Serve eggplant mixture over hot cooked pasta. Sprinkle with cheese and, if desired, pine nuts.