- 8 T. butter, unsalted, cold, divided
- 4 T. all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, fresh ground
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 c. chicken, broth, low-sodium
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped
- 26 oz. hash browns, frozen, shredded
- 8 oz. Colby cheese, shredded
Love this when we go to Crocker Barrel, and so Happy to share the Slow Cooker COPYCAT Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole with you. Enjoy!
- In medium sized saucepan, over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Once butter is melted add 2 tablespoons flour and all seasonings. Whisk to create a paste. Add milk, whisking as you pour. Whisk until completely combined.
- In a quart size tightly sealed jar combine 2 tablespoons flour and chicken broth. Shake the living tar out of your mixture (per Cracker Barrel). You will create a smooth flour mixture for thickening your sauce called a slurry.
- Slowly pour slurry into mixture, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour soup mixture into a 5 – 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add remaining 6 tablespoons butter and onions. Stir until butter is melted. NOTE: (This will also start to cool your soup.)
- Add cheese and frozen hash browns. Mix well to combine into the soup mixture with a spoon.
- Cover. Crock on Low for 4 – 6 hours or on High for 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours. Crocking time will depend on your slow cooker and how it crocks.
NOTE: This recipe can also be converted to a vegetarian recipe by omitting the poultry seasoning, and substituting the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
OPTIONAL: If you would like it browned on top simply place in a baking dish and place under the broiler for a few minutes.
Serve and enjoy!