Cooking Time:8 hours
Ingredients1 onion, peeled and halved
3 c. dry pinto beans, rinsed
1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 T. minced garlic
5 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
9 c. water
- Soak the beans over night, rinse and clean.
- Place the beans, onions, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker.
- Combine with the water and stir.
- Cover. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed.
- Once the beans have cooked, strain the broth into a bowl, and reserve, as you will need it.
- Smash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
NOTE: Depending on your slow cooker, if more that 3/4 cups of water evaporates, it is crocking too high, you may want to turn to low.
Serving: If desired, top with shredded cheese and serve with tortilla chips.