Cooking Time:4.5 hours
Ingredients1 loaf STALE whole-wheat multi-grain bread, cut into large cubes (about 6 cups)
1 quart (4 c.) half-and-half
4 large eggs
3/4 c. sugar
2 T. whiskey or bourbon
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. fine salt
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
12 oz. dried pears or a combination of pears and apricots, chopped
1/4 c. sugar and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, mixed
1 1/2 c. walnuts or pecans, toasted
Whipped cream, if desired
I didn’t discover the goodness that is in Bread Pudding until I was an adult. Boy, was I deprived as a kid! Since that first taste, I’ve definitely made up for lost time — I’ve had my share of bread pudding! When I’m craving the yummy taste of what is now one of my favorite desserts, I make this Slow Cooker Bread Pudding at home. Enjoy!
- Grease a slow cooker with butter or nonstick spray.
- Whisk the half-and-half, eggs, sugar, whiskey, vanilla, salt and nutmeg together in a large bowl. (This is the custard)
- Toss bread cubes and dried fruit together and place into a slow cooker.
- Pour custard over top and press down lightly until all bread is moist and covered with the custard.
- Cover and Crock on LOW until pudding puffs and is just set, about 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove crock insert from the slow cooker and cool on a rack, about 20 minutes.
- Spoon pudding into large cups or bowls and sprinkle each serving with cinnamon sugar and toasted nuts.
- Top with whipped cream, yogurt, or ice cream. (as desired)