Cooking Time:4-5 hours
Ingredients2 T. unsalted butter
3 large onions, sliced
1 c. dry white or red wine
32 oz. beef broth
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
6 slices toasted French bread
1 c. Gruyere Cheese (shredded)
I like to make Slow Cooker French Onion soup as a before dinner soup, but sometimes I just make it for the meal as it is one of those tasty and enjoyable soups!
- Add butter to a skillet over medium heat.
- Once butter is just starting to melt, add the onions.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook onions for about 10 minutes.
- Add wine to deglaze skillet.
- Add onion mixture into a 6-Quart slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients except bread and cheese. Stir.
- Cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 6-7 hours.
- Dish soup into oven-safe individual bowls.
- Place a toasted piece of French bread on each bowl of soup and top with shredded cheese.
- Place bowls on a baking sheet then brown under the broiler for about 2 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.
For over 400 more recipes, click here to get my eBook “Get Crocked: The Definitive Guide to Slow Cooking”
I first made this in August and it has become a favorite for our family. I am making it again for a Halloween get together and I have already had requests to bring it to our Christmas dinner. Thank you so much!