Cooking Time:4–6 hours
Servings:2 main dish, or 4 side dish
Ingredients1 medium zucchini or summer squash, halved lengthwise, with seeds removed
1 c. tomato sauce
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1/4 c. uncooked brown rice
1 T. dried parsley
1 T. dried basil
1/8 tsp. black pepper
2 T. pine nuts, toasted
Fresh parsley (optional)
Fresh basil (optional)
Mozzarella cheese (optional)
Parmesan cheese (optional)
When all the beautiful squash are fresh, I love to make Slow Cooker Stuffed Zucchini! Enjoy!
- This recipe is great especially when you have fresh zucchini! Enjoy and Happy Crocking!
- To toast pine nuts, place them in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally until golden or about 5 minutes.
- Place the zucchini halves in the bottom of an oval slow cooker.
- In a bowl or measuring cup, combine the tomato sauce and vinegar.
- In another bowl, combine the onions, garlic, rice, parsley, basil, pepper, along with 2 tablespoons of the tomato sauce-vinegar mixture.
- Fill the zucchini halves with the rice mixture.
- Top with the remaining tomato sauce-vinegar mixture.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 4–6 hours or until the rice is tender.
Garnish with the pine nuts, fresh herbs, and cheese.
Note: This recipe is also good for non-vegetarians by adding ground pork, ground turkey, or ground beef!
Optional: Great to double for a larger group!
Nutritional Facts used for 4 servings!