Cooking Time:3 1/2 hours
Ingredients1 1/2 med. onions
1 med. green pepper
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 minced fresh garlic clove
1/2 tsp. jalapeno, fresh, chopped
3 T vegetable oil
4 lb. ground beef (lean beef is okay)
8 T chili powder
1 T ground cumin
2 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. hot sauce
salt & pepper
6 oz. beer
1 1/4 c. water
14.5 oz. stewed tomatoes, undrained
8 oz. tomato sauce
6 oz. tomato paste
4 oz. diced green chilies
1 bay leaf
This is my dad’s “famous” chili. (okay well maybe it’s only famous in our family but don’t tell him that!) He says that real chili doesn’t have beans so he came up with this concoction to prove to us that bean-less chili is delicious!
- Chop the onions, peppers, celery stalk, jalapeno, and mince the garlic clove.
- Heat the vegetable oil on med-high heat and saute the onions, peppers, celery stalk, jalapeno, and garlic until they are soft and onions are translucent.
- Add the beef and continue cooking until the beef is no longer pink, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- When finished cooking, spoon away any excess oil from beef mixture and transfer the beef mixture to a 6-Quart slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, mix the chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, hot sauce, salt and pepper, and the beer. Let it sit for a few minutes then add the chili powder mixture to the beef mixture in the slow cooker.
- Next add the water, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, diced green chilies, and bay leaf to the slow cooker.
- Mix well then cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, dish into bowls and top with shredded cheese, onions and you can also add a dollop of sour cream if desired.