Cooking Time:6 hours
Ingredients3 -4 c. potatoes, mashed, leftover
1 1/2–2 lbs. ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, large, chopped finely
1/2 c. celery, chopped
1 — 2 carrot, shredded
1/2 c. corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
1/2 c. sweet peas (fresh, frozen or canned)
6 oz. tomato paste, canned
1 tomato, diced
6 oz. water
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. paprika (sprinkle on top of mashed potatoes for garnish)
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley
nonstick cooking spray
Shepherd’s Pie is a traditional Irish dish that I love to make anytime I have leftover mashed potatoes. (I pretty much make this after any holiday!)
- Brown the ground beef with the onion, garlic, celery and carrots until meat is no longer pink; drain any fat.
- Mix corn, sweet peas, salt, black pepper, tomato paste, diced tomatoes and water into the ground beef mixture; stir well.
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray, or use the slow cooker liner; pour meat mixture into the bottom of slow cooker; press into the bottom of the crock so it is dense and even.
- Spread leftover mashed potatoes (evenly) over the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle the mashed potatoes with paprika (optional, for garnish).
- Cover. Cook on Low 6 hours or on High 3 hours; then, remove the lid for 30 minutes to allow the potatoes to brown.
- Sprinkle pie with fresh, chopped parsley (optional, for garnish).