Cooking Time:6 hours
Ingredients3 -4 c. potatoes, mashed, leftover
1 1/2-2 lbs. ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, large, chopped finely
1/2 c. celery, chopped
1 - 2 carrot, shredded
1/2 c. corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
1/2 c. sweet peas (fresh, frozen or canned)
6 oz. tomato paste, canned
1 tomato, diced
6 oz. water
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. paprika (sprinkle on top of mashed potatoes for garnish)
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley
nonstick cooking spray
Shepherd’s Pie is a traditional Irish dish that I love to make anytime I have leftover mashed potatoes. (I pretty much make this after any holiday!)
- Brown the ground beef with the onion, garlic, celery and carrots until meat is no longer pink; drain any fat.
- Mix corn, sweet peas, salt, black pepper, tomato paste, diced tomatoes and water into the ground beef mixture; stir well.
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray, or use the slow cooker liner; pour meat mixture into the bottom of slow cooker; press into the bottom of the crock so it is dense and even.
- Spread leftover mashed potatoes (evenly) over the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle the mashed potatoes with paprika (optional, for garnish).
- Cover. Cook on Low 6 hours or on High 3 hours; then, remove the lid for 30 minutes to allow the potatoes to brown.
- Sprinkle pie with fresh, chopped parsley (optional, for garnish).
For over 400 more recipes, click here to get our eBook!
Although this recipe is wonderful, it is cottage pie. Shepherd’s Pie is made with lamb.
I made this tonight & it was really nice even though it was made with beef mince not lamb.