Cooking Time:8-9 hours on Low or 3-4 hours on High
Ingredients2 lb. bulk Italian pork sausage or ground beef
2 large onions, chopped, 2 c.
2 c. sliced fresh mushrooms 6 oz.
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
28 oz. San Martzano diced tomatoes, canned undrained
2 - 28 oz. cans San Martzano tomato puree
6 oz. tomato paste
1 T. dried basil leaves
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
8 oz. mozzarella cheese
1 box ziti or rigatoni pasta, 16 oz.
- Spray 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray or use a crock pot liner.
- In 12-inch skillet, cook sausage, onions, mushrooms and garlic over medium heat about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, EXCEPT noodles and cheese.
- Place the uncooked pasta in a colander and run water over the pasta. This will add some moisture to help cook the noodles while in the slow cooker.
- Put a layer of sauce in the bottom of the slow cooker, layer the noodles, mozzarella cheese and repeat until all sause and noodles are gone.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 8 to 9 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
- Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and turn to High for 30 minutes until cheese is melted!
Optional: Sprinkel with Parmasan Cheese
Variation: Can alter recipe to eliminate the sausage to make this a vegetarian dish!