Cooking Time:7-8 hours
Ingredients2 1/2 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast , trimmed of fat
2 T. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 medium onions , thinly sliced
24 garlic cloves , minced (about 4 tbsp.)
2 beef bouillon cubes
1/2 c. hot water
8 oz. lager beer
3 T. brown sugar (cut back for a less sweet taste)
1 T. Dijon mustard
1 T. cider vinegar
cornstarch (dissolved in water, for gravy)
- Heat 1 T. of the oil in skillet and brown roast on both sides, seasoning with salt and pepper; remove to a platter and keep warm.
- Add the remaining T. of oil to the pan and add the onions, cook until they just start to wilt then add the garlic and cook until the onions are tender, a few minutes more.
- Add the bouillon cubes to the hot water and stir to dissolve; then transfer liquid to the skillet along with the beer, brown sugar, mustard, and vinegar; stirring to mix well.
- Pour mixture into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place roast on top of liquid, cutting into pieces if it doesn’t lay flat.
- Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 7-8 hours.
- Remove roast from the crock pot and pour liquid into a pan on the stove; heat to a boil, and mix a slurry out of the cornstarch and water; thicken pan liquid with slurry to make a gravy.
Serve gravy over meat or with potatoes or noodles.