Cooking Time:5–7 hours
Ingredients28 oz. can, crushed tomatoes
1/2 c. finely diced celery
1/2 c. finely diced carrots
1 medium onion, minced
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. oregano
1 T. basil
4 c. chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1/2 c. flour
1 c. Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. butter
2 c. half and half
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
5 basil leaves
- Add the first 9 ingredients to a 6-Quart slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6–7 hours.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low and melt butter.
- Add flour to melted butter and whisk constantly for 3–4 minutes or until it forms a thick paste and turns off-white in color.
- Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup and whisk until smooth.
- Pour mixture back into the slow cooker. Stir.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and half & half
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in fresh, chopped basil leaves.
- Cover and keep soup on WARM setting until ready to serve. (do not boil)