Cooking Time:6-8 hours
Ingredients2 lb. dried great northern beans (mixed if desired) or 2 lb. other dried beans (mixed if desired)
6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
2 lg. sweet onion , chopped coarsely
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 T. parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
2 lb. smoked ham or 2 lb. ham hock
12 c. water or 12 c. broth
- Sort beans and soak in enough water to cover overnight.
- Rinse the beans the following morning several times to make sure they are clean.
- Put the rinsed beans, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, parsley, cloves, ham (chopped into large chunks) or ham hocks into the slow cooker along with 12 cups water or broth.
- Cover. Cook on low for about 6–8 hours, or until beans are tender and creamy.
- Skim any excess fat, if necessary, before serving.