Cooking Time:4-5 hours on Low
Ingredients2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium yellow squash, chopped
1 carrot, diced and chopped (optional)
2 celery stalks, chopped
14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
a pinch saffron strands, crushed
20-25 sprigs fresh cilantro
10-15 mint leaves, optional
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1/3 cup red or brown lentils cleaned and rinsed
8 cups water
1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans, boiled
1 bay leaf
Love, Love, Love Slow Cooker Moroccan Style Lentil and Garbanzo Soup!
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add bay leaf, followed by garlic and cook for few seconds longer.
- Add the onions, and cook for 5–6 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add squash, cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, salt, saffron, cilantro, mint and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes until spices and herbs are nicely blended with the vegetables.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add 8 cups of water.
- Add red lentils and garbanzo beans.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 4–5 hours.
- Add black pepper to taste and serve hot, after you remove the bay leaf.
NOTE: Add vegetables of your choice! I like carrots in soup!
NOTE: Check at 2–3 hours as this has sometimes cooked very fast for me!