Cooking Time:7-8 hours on Low or 2-4 hours on High
Ingredients1 medium eggplant
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green peppers, chopped (optional)
28 oz. can Italian-style tomatoes, cut up
6 oz. can Italian-style tomato paste
4 oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained or 1/2 cup
Fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tsp. sugar (optional)
1/4 c. dry red wine
1/4 c. water
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1/2 c. pitted kalamata olives or pitted ripe olives, sliced
2 to 4 T. snipped fresh parsley
4 c. hot cooked penne pasta
1/3 c. parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
2 T. toasted pine nuts (optional)
Salt and pepper
- Peel eggplant, if desired; cut eggplant into 1-inch cubes.
- In a 3 to 5 quart slow cooker combine eggplant, onion, green pepper, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, garlic, sugar (if using), wine, water, and oregano.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours or on High for 2 to 4 hours.
- Stir in olives and parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over pasta with Parmesan cheese.
- Garnish with toasted pine nuts.