Cooking Time:High for 30 minutes and Low for 2–3 hours
Ingredients1 lb. penne pasta
4 c. marinara sauce
15 oz. part skim ricotta cheese
1/2 c. pecorino romano cheese
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 T. parsley, minced
Salt and black pepper, to taste
6 oz. low fat mozzarella cheese, grated
1 c. chicken or beef stock, or for vegetarian use vegetable stock
- Stir together the ricotta, pecorino romano cheese, egg, garlic powder, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray the crock insert of your slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Add 1/3 of the pasta with 1/3 of the sauce and stir to get them combined.
- Dollop 1/2 the ricotta mixture in an even layer and sprinkle on 1/3 of the mozzarella.
- Repeat by layering in 1/3 of the pasta, then 1/3 of the sauce, the remaining half of the ricotta mixture and 1/3 of the mozzarella.
- For the final layer, add the remaining third of the pasta, with the remaining sauce and mozzarella sprinkled on top.
- Pour the chicken or beef stock over the top aiming mainly towards the edges.
- Cover. Cook on High for 30 minutes, then Low for 2 to 3 hours or until the pasta looks cooked. Turn off the slow cooker and let it stand for at least a half an hour to set, then served with additional sauce and grated cheese.
Notes: For a gluten free diet, be sure to use gluten free pasta, chicken or beef stock in the recipe.
Optional: Serve vegetarian style, or brown 1 pound of ground beef and add to pasta to layer!