Cooking Time:8 hours on warm and 6-8 hours on high
Ingredients1 pkg. dried organic garbanzo beans
4 c. chicken broth, or vegetable broth
Juice from one lemon
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
Few sprigs of Rosemary
Few drizzles of Olive Oil
This recipe was actually shared by J.M.L., a facebook friend. J.M.L. said everyone thought it was even better the next day, so Slow Cooker Hummus would be a great recipe to make ahead when you are entertaining guests. Thanks for sharing, J.M.L.!
- Rince the garbanzo beans.
- Combine dried organic garbanzo beans, chicken broth (or vegetable), and put on warm all night.
- In the morning add more WARM water (not to crack the pot) and increase to high heat.
- As the beans plump and soften, add the lemon juice and garlic.
- Blend everything with an immersion blender, adding water as needed for consistency. (If you don’t have an immersion/hand blender, you can use a regular blender then return everything to the crock.)
- Let it sit on Low adding a few sprigs of Rosemary and a few drizzles of Olive Oil.
- It will be fine in the crock pot most of the day.
Serve with Pretzel Thins, Tortillas, carrot sticks, or what ever you like with hummus.
Optional: Sprinkle with Paprika for serving
Provided by J. M. L. at www.facebook.com/crockpotgirl
For over 450 more Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!
I have never made homemade hummus before and this was actually pretty easy. I am going to make this for a Super Bowl party. No one will believe I made it in my crock pot!
Hi Alison, this recipe was shared by a facebook friend and she did not use tahini! I believe with the way she cooked the beans on low over night, and then all day it was not needed. You are correct it is most often found in hummus, but not in this recipe! Thanks for the question and Happy Crocking!
Can canned garbanzo beans be used in lieu of dried?
Colleen because this is a shared recipe, I am not sure as JML was part of the 30 day challenge, but I would think you need to use the dried beans! But if you use the canned beans, please post back and let me now! Good question and thank you for asking! Happy Crocking!
I love making hummus. I have never made it in a crock pot, or used dried beans, i am so going to have to try this!!! I also don’t add tahini. If you like sun dried tomato hummus add some of Mrs. Dash sun dried tomato seasoning, I don’t have any amount i just add till it looks good. it’s yummy!!!
What size crockpot should be used?
Hi Mary M., I would use a 5-6 quart slow cooker for this recipe. Just make sure it is 1/2 – 2/3 full for the recipe to crock properly.
What size pkg of garbanzo beans? My store has 2 sizes.
Hi Dena, Since this is a shared recipe from a FaceBook Friend, I am not sure. I would get the larger bag just to make sure.. I’ll need to make this myself soon! Happy Crocking!