Cooking Time:10 hours
Ingredients2 lbs. Pork Shoulder
2 T. Oil
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 T. Oregano
1/2 T. Cumin
Freshly Cracked Pepper, to taste
Coarse Salt, to taste
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 Medium Yellow Onion, Chopped
1/2 Bunch of Cilantro, chopped
1/2 c. Beer or Broth of your choice
Juice of one lime
2 c. Cubed Watermelon
1/2 Small White Onion, diced
2 T. Chopped Cilantro
1/2 Jalapeno, seeded and chopped
Juice of one lime
Salt, to taste
Did you know that August 3, 2012 is National Watermelon Day in the US? Well, you do now! Watermelon is a refreshing treat on a hot day and I am seeing it being used more and more for salsa, martinis, etc. So of course, I had to come up with something I could CROCK to celebrate Watermelon Day. I hope you celebrate with these Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Watermelon Salsa.
- Start by making a rub with the salt, pepper, oregano, cumin and garlic powder. Rub the seasonings all over the meat.
- Place 2 T. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear all sides of the pork, just enough to brown quickly.
- Meanwhile, place the chopped onion and bay leaf in a 6-Quart Slow Cooker.
- Place the seared pork shoulder on top of onions. Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro.
- Combine beer or broth with lime juice and pour around the pork.
- Cover. Cook on Low all day. (about 10 hours)
- Remove the pork and shred using the meat rake or two large forks. (It will be fall off the bone tender!)
- Serve with warm tortillas.
Optional Topping – Watermelon Salsa:
- Add all ingredients except salt to a small bowl.
- Let ingredients sit, at room temperature, for 30 minutes.
- Taste salsa and add a pinch of salt and additional lime juice to taste.
- Serve on the side as a topping for the pork carnitas.
Serve the carnitas on small tortillas and top with watermelon salsa. They both also make great salad toppings.