Cooking Time:10 hours
Ingredients2 lbs. Pork Shoulder
2 T. Oil
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 T. Oregano
1/2 T. Cumin
Freshly Cracked Pepper, to taste
Coarse Salt, to taste
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 Medium Yellow Onion, Chopped
1/2 Bunch of Cilantro, chopped
1/2 c. Beer or Broth of your choice
Juice of one lime
2 c. Cubed Watermelon
1/2 Small White Onion, diced
2 T. Chopped Cilantro
1/2 Jalapeno, seeded and chopped
Juice of one lime
Salt, to taste
Did you know that August 3, 2012 is National Watermelon Day in the US? Well, you do now! Watermelon is a refreshing treat on a hot day and I am seeing it being used more and more for salsa, martinis, etc. So of course, I had to come up with something I could CROCK to celebrate Watermelon Day. I hope you celebrate with these Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Watermelon Salsa.
- Start by making a rub with the salt, pepper, oregano, cumin and garlic powder. Rub the seasonings all over the meat.
- Place 2 T. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear all sides of the pork, just enough to brown quickly.
- Meanwhile, place the chopped onion and bay leaf in a 6-Quart Slow Cooker.
- Place the seared pork shoulder on top of onions. Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro.
- Combine beer or broth with lime juice and pour around the pork.
- Cover. Cook on Low all day. (about 10 hours)
- Remove the pork and shred using the meat rake or two large forks. (It will be fall off the bone tender!)
- Serve with warm tortillas.
Optional Topping – Watermelon Salsa:
- Add all ingredients except salt to a small bowl.
- Let ingredients sit, at room temperature, for 30 minutes.
- Taste salsa and add a pinch of salt and additional lime juice to taste.
- Serve on the side as a topping for the pork carnitas.
Serve the carnitas on small tortillas and top with watermelon salsa. They both also make great salad toppings.
For over 450 more Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!