Cooking Time:5-6 hours
Ingredients5 lb. boneless beef roast
salt and pepper to taste
1 T. flour, optional
2 T. coconut oil
8 oz. mushrooms, quartered
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. butter
1 1/2 T. flour, all-purpose
1 T. tomato paste
2 1/2 c. chicken broth
3 medium carrots, chopped
3 medium potatoes, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 sprig rosemary, fresh
2 sprigs thyme, fresh
Yes there are so many ways to crock a beef roast, but you will not be sorry when you make this Slow Cooker Beef Pot Roast! Searing the meat is key to making this recipe GREAT!
- Season generously both sides of the roast with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle flour over the top until well coated, and pat it into the meat. Shake off any excess.
- In a large skillet heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat until hot. Sear the roast on both sides for 5-6 minutes each, until well browned. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in mushrooms and butter; cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix in the onion and cook for another 5 minutes, until onions are translucent and begin to brown. Add garlic, stir for about a minute.
- Stir in 1 1/2 T. flour; cook and stir for about 1 minute. Add tomato paste, and cook for another minute.
- Slowly add chicken stock, stir to combine, and return to a simmer. Remove skillet from the heat.
- Place carrots, potatoes and celery in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place roast over the vegetables and pour in any accumulated juices. Add rosemary and thyme or seasonings of your choice.
- Pour onion and mushroom mixture over the top of the roast.
- Cover. Cook on High for 5-6 hours, until the meat is fork tender.
- Skim off any fat from the surface and remove the bones you used a bone-in Roast. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice and Serve with veggies!