Cooking Time:3–4 hours
Ingredients4 — 6 (6 1/2 oz.) cans minced clams with juice
1/2 lb. salt pork or bacon, diced
1 Medium Yellow Onion, minced
1 Stalk of Celery, chopped
1 tsp. Minced Garlic
6 Medium Russet Potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
1 c. Water
2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. White Pepper
4 c. Half & Half
3 T. cornstarch
chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Slow Cooker Clam Chowder is so good, and a favorite for my guests, as there is never a drop left!
- Drain clams and reserve juice. Cover clams and refrigerate.
- Saute pork in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Spoon most of the grease from the skillet.
- After one minute, add onions. Cook for 3 minutes and then add reserved juice from the clams.
- Cook for 5 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Pour cooked pork, onions and clam juice into a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except clams, half & half, cornstarch, and parsley.
- Cover. Cook on High for 4 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir corn starch into the half & half and add to the slow cooker .
- Stir in clams.
- Cover and cook for one additional hour on LOW.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with warm bread or in a bread bowl.
NOTE: If you prefer a creamier chowder, use a hand-held immersion blender to gently puree ingredients after cooking.