Cooking Time:3 or 4 - 6 hours
Ingredients1 1/2 lb. steak, flank
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 c. carrots, shredded
4 onion, green, sliced, one is for garnish
1 tsp. onion, dried minced (or 1/2 fresh onion, diced very small)
1/2 c. soy sauce, gluten free
1/4 c. wine, white
1/4 c. cooking sherry
1/2 T. vinegar, white wine(optional)
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. molasses
1 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. red chili pepper flakes
1/2 T. peanut butter (if allergic, use black bean paste)
3 T. brown sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch (to dredge meat--don't add to sauce mixture)
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef is a favorite, so excited to share this recipe with all of you!
- Slice steak into thin strips and toss in a Ziploc bag with cornstarch to coat.
- Add all of the liquid and dried spices to your slow cooker, and the peanut butter (or alternative if necessary), and mix well.
- Add the garlic, carrots and three of the sliced green onions. If you are using fresh onion, add that at this time, too.
- Place the steak on top, and toss gingerly to coat.
- Cover. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
NOTE: Flank steak is thin and has very little fat, and will cook quickly. There isn’t a lot of liquid in this dish, so if your crock tends to cook hot, please check it after 3 hours! The meat is done when it is no longer pink and has reaches desired tenderness.
Serve over steamed or fried rice, and garnish with freshly sliced green onion.