Cooking Time:4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low
Ingredients1 Small Yellow Onion, chopped
1 tsp. Minced Garlic
6 Red Potatoes. washed and cubed
2 T. Sliced Green Onions
2 Carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Dry Ground Mustard
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1.5 c. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 T. Unsalted Butter
4 Bratwurst, uncooked
4 c. Chicken Stock
12 oz. Ale Beer, like Sierra Nevada
1 c. Half & Half
2 T. Cornstarch
Slow Cooker Cheddar Bratwurst Soup is a great soup to serve on a cold day, and also for game days!
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and sweat the onions and garlic with 1 T. olive oil.
- Place potatoes, carrots and green onions in the bottom of a 6-Quart Slow Cooker and top with cooked onions/garlic.
- Slice brats and brown & sear on both sides in the heated skillet.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any grease.
- Place brats in slow cooker and top with seasonings then cheese.
- Pour in chicken stock and ale.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or 6 hours on LOW.
- Combine cornstarch and 1/4 c. water in a measuring cup. Stir into soup.
- Stir half & half into soup.
- Cover and cook for 15 more minutes on HIGH.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, crusty bread or pretzels. I like the soft pretzels!
For over 450 more Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!