Cooking Time:5-7 hours
Ingredients6 onions, large, chopped
1/2 c. butter
5 cans - 10.5 oz each condensed beef broth, undiluted (I use low-sodium)
1 c. cooking Sherry
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
3 bay leaves
10 French bread slices, toasted
Shredded Parmesan and shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
With a soup like Slow Cooker French Onion Soup it is versatile, as you can make it for guests before you serve them a main meal, or you can serve it in a big bowl for dinner at home.
- Saute onions in butter until crisp-tender in a skillet.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, place the saute onions, adding the broth, cooking Sherry, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 5–7 hours or until the onions are tender.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls.
- Top bowls with a slice of toast, topping with cheese.
- Place the bowls on a baking sheet.
- Lightly brown under your broiler for 2–3 minutes.
NOTE: To make Vegetarian, use vegetable broth instead of beef broth!