Cooking Time:6-8 hours on Low
Ingredients6 Bacon slices, browned and crumbled
2 lbs. Beef Liver
2 Large Onions, sliced
1/4 c. Flour
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1/2 tsp. Non-Seasoned Meat Tenderizer
5 Large Mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp. Brown Gravy Sauce
2 c. Beef Broth
Slow Cooker Liver and Onions is one of those meals you either love it or not. Several in my family love it, so here you go and Happy Crocking!
- Cook bacon over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Set aside to drain and reserve 2 T. of pan drippings.
- Combine flour, salt & pepper, and meat tenderizer in a shallow dish.
- Dredge meat in the flour mix and brown in the bacon grease (both sides.)
- Transfer liver to a 4-5 Quart slow cooker.
- Add crumbled bacon and onion slices over liver.
- Next, add mushrooms and additional salt & pepper, if desired.
- Combine brown gravy sauce and beef broth then pour over ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low 6-8 hours.
NOTE: You can add water if you like more liquid, and to make gravy thicker, mix cornstarch with a little water until smooth, and add to broth for gravy,
For over 450 more Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!
What is beef base in recipe for liver and onions?
Hi Debra, Beef base is more like a powder or paste. I have the McCormick brand, and if you don’t find it in your local store, you may want to ask your grocery if they carry it. Thanks for the question, and Happy Crocking!
Is the beef base with the gravy mixes?
You you will need both! Thanks for the question and Happy Crocking!
Can this be done in the Instant Pot?
cooking for so long even in crock…wont it be over cooked??
Is the liver frozen? 6-8 hours seems like a lot if the liver is not frozen. Thanks.
I would not make this version again usedonion soup as abase and liver was extremely dry
So, you changed the recipe and it turned out differently. How shocking! Who could have foreseen that?
Imagine That. This recipes looks mighty tasty!! Imma gonna hafta try it!
I made it today and just turned it down to warm after 7 hours on low. I got my liver from a local Amish store as I live close to two of them. All the ingredients came from the Amish store, including the beef bullion gravy powder mix. Can’t wait to taste it and savor it with some fresh made Amish dinner rolls.