Cooking Time:3–5 hours
Ingredients1 medium eggplant (about 1.5 pounds)
1 lb. thinly sliced chicken breast, pounded flat with a meat mallet.
3 c. of crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce.
1 T. of extra virgin olive oil.
3 cloves garlic, minced.
1 T. of Italian seasoning.
1/2 lb. of thinly sliced pepperoni.
1 c. of black olives, sliced.
1/2 c. to 1 c. Parmesan cheese, grated. (Optional)
1/2 c. to 1 c. Mozzarella cheese, grated. (Optional)
sea salt as needed.
Italian parsley for garnish.
Your friends will tell you “You’re the bomb!” after making this flavorful and fun dinner!
- Slice eggplant into 1″ rounds and place into large bowl of water. Soak for 1 hour.
- Strain eggplant, sprinkle with sea salt and place between paper or cloth towels to remove excess moisture. Rest for 1/2 hour.
- Mix minced garlic and Italian seasoning with tomato sauce.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to crock pot, then add a few large spoonfuls of tomato sauce mixture.
- Pound out chicken breasts to be very thin. Set aside.
- Start layering in this order starting from the bottom: Sauce, eggplant, Parmesan cheese, chicken, sauce, mozzarella cheese, black olives, pepperoni, more cheese.
- Repeat until ingredients are used; you should have about 2 chicken layers. Try to set aside some sauce / cheese / olives / pepperoni for the top.
- Cover. Crock on High 3 hours or Low 5 hours.
- Once finished cooking, remove ceramic crock and place on your stovetop to let it cool with the lid ajar.
- Drain any liquid carefully.
- Remove “bomb” with a pair of spatulas if you want to get out in one piece.