Cooking Time:8–10 hours on Low or 3–5 hours on High
Ingredients2 lb. Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
1 Small Yellow Onion, chopped
14 1/2 oz. Chicken Broth
3 c. Peeled, Sliced Apples
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sour cream
To get all the flavors of Fall… Slow Cooker Squash and Apple Bisque is delightful. Serve with a fresh tossed green salad and House Italian Salad Dressing or the dressing of your choice.
- Mix all ingredients EXCEPT sour cream in 5-quart slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 8 — 10 hours or on High for 3 — 5 hours, or until squash is tender.
- Use an immersion (stick) blender to blend ingredients and thicken soup.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Cover and cook on LOW 15–20 minutes or until soup is fully heated.
- Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream.
Tip: Sour cream will break down and curdle if it becomes too hot. After adding the cold sour cream, cook the bisque just long enough for it to reheat. If using reduced-fat sour cream, add it the same way.
Variations: serve this bisque thoroughly chilled, garnished with thin slices of Granny Smith apples and a sprinkling of finely chopped crystallized ginger. Add a dollop of sour cream on top of each serving, swirling slightly into the soup with the tip of a knife. For a touch of crunch and color, sprinkle with chopped pecan or poppy seeds.