Cooking Time:5-7 hours
Ingredients12 oz. - 16 dry beans soup, pkg.
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
small bunch Kale, torn in small bites
8 oz. baby carrots
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. Ground Italian sausage
32 oz. chicken broth
15 oz. canned stewed tomatoes
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
There’s nothing quite like a really amazing soup on a cold winter day. Try this Slow Cooker 16 Bean and Sausage Soup, and melt those Winter Blues!
- Sort, rinse and soak beans overnight,
- Brown ground sausage and onion over medium-high heat in skillet. Drain fat and place in 6-Quart Slow Cooker.
- Next, pour chicken broth over sausage mixture. Stir in garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients to slow cooked.
- Cover and crock on HIGH 2 hours, then crock 3-5 hours on LOW, or until beans are tender.
- As beans expand, more broth can be added, if desired.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
NOTE: For an even healthier version, try using ground turkey and vegetable broth.
For over 400 more recipes, click here to get my eBook “Get Crocked: The Definitive Guide to Slow Cooking”
Excited to try this, for the beans do I soak them like the package says before trying to cook this?
Yes Misty you will soak them. For two reasons, you should always soak beans, as this cleans them, as well as helps them swell before making your meal. Thank you for the question.. Happy Crocking!
I just got my crock pot so I am still trying to figure it out. I have tried several of your recipes, and they have all ended up on my “must make again” list. THANK YOU!
My question here is if it is necessary to start out on high. Can I cook in on low only? If so, how long would you guess?
Yes, you can crock this on low for the whole time, and I would add about 3 hours with the already stated time on Low for this recipe. Thank you for your question, and so glad you are enjoying your slow cooker.