Cooking Time:6–7 hours
Ingredients1/2 c. butter
6 Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
1 tsp. sugar
2 T. flour
5 c. water
½ c. red wine
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
Salt & Pepper, to taste
42 oz. beef broth
1 Large French baguette
8 slices Swiss cheese
What an indulgence it is to have a really tasty Slow Cooker Fancy French Onion Soup. Your guests or family will think you slaved away in the kitchen. Shh…we won’t tell…
- Place butter in a large slow cooker and turn to High setting.
- Once butter is melted, stir in sugar.
- Place onions in butter, toss to coat; cover and cook on HIGH 3–4 hours, or until well caramelized. (No need to do this step if you have made my caramelized onions recipe previously).
- Stir in flour until well blended with the onion juices. Add water, red wine, Worcestershire, garlic, bay leaves, salt & pepper to taste, and beef broth.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
- Cut 8, 1-inch thick slices of bread from loaf. Toast the bread slices using a wide, bagel toaster or in a toaster oven.
- Ladle soup into oven-safe bowls. Place 1 slice of toasted bread on top of the soup in each bowl. Top with a cheese slice.
- Place soup bowls on a baking sheet for easier handling.
- Broil just until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- BE CAREFUL when handling bowls — they will be very HOT when you remove them from the oven!!
NOTE: If you have made my Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions previously, you can use these to make this soup. Just eliminate the onions and butter in this recipe, and follow the directions as stated.