Cooking Time:5-6 hours
Ingredients6 slices of bacon
1 onion, minced
2-20 oz. cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2-20 oz. cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 c. ketchup
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
4 T. tomato paste
12 oz. Guinness (beer)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. smoked paprika
2 T. Honey
salt & pepper, to taste
1 tsp. Hot Sauce, optional
Make sure to invite friends and family over before consuming these hearty Slow Cooker Guinness Baked Beans, because this one feeds a crowd! Great paired with a simple sandwich or BBQ meal!
- Cook bacon in a heavy skillet. Sed aside on paper towels to drain. (don’t wash the skillet just yet!)
- Add onions to the skillet with bacon grease and cook over LOW heat to sweat onions. This will help flavor the onions. Do NOT brown them – the onions should be almost translucent when finished cooking.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove onions from grease and place in a 5-Quart slow cooker.
- Top with the drained and rinsed beans, ketchup, Worcestershire, tomato paste, Guinness, brown sugar, mustard, smoked paprika, honey, crumbled bacon, salt and pepper.
- Add hot sauce, if desired.
- Cover and crock on LOW 5-6 hours.
For over 450 more Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!
Made and served this last weekend as a side dish for sloppy joes. Everyone loved them. The flavor was excellent, and the beans held up well — firmer than typical baked beans. We will definitely make these again. Thanks, Jenn!
Is the bacon a garnish, an end stir-in or cooked with the beans? The bacon in the photo doesn’t look crumbled or pre-fried.
I didn’t rate this recipe as I am in the middle of assembling it and realized where does the bacon go?
So if you insist I will give it a 2 star for incomplete instructions.
Number 3 in the directions toward the end of sentence asks you to add crumbled bacon along with remaining ingredients into the crock. It gets cooked in crockpot the 6 hours.
Stacey I have made it both ways adding to the crock with the ingredients, and hold some back to add at the end. Make this recipe your own, and make it the way you will enjoy it! Happy Crocking!