Cooking Time:6–8 hours
Ingredients8 c. chicken broth
8–10 Yukon gold or Red potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
4 leeks (whites only), washed and sliced thinly
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 bay leaf
2 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 c. heavy cream, room temp.
One of the things I look forward to most when visiting my favorite local Irish Pub is this classic: Slow Cooker Potato Leek Soup. Here is my version for you to enjoy!
- Place the chicken broth, potatoes, leeks, celery, bay leaf and thyme in crock and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 4–5 hours, or until potatoes are soft. (Important NOT to lift lid!)
- Remove the bay leaf. Use a stick blender to blend potatoes into a smooth soup, or in small batches, blend soup in stand blender.
- Return the soup to the crock and add the cream.
- Re-cover and cook on HIGH 1–2 more hour to thicken soup.
Serve with chives, shredded cheese and/or bacon.
NOTE: Use par-boiled potatoes instead of raw to expedite the time on this soup.
NOTE 2: Easy to convert to Vegetarian by substituting Vegetable Broth for the Chicken Broth!