Cooking Time:6 hours on High or 8 hours on Low
Ingredients1/3 c. apple cider vinegar 3 T. lime juice 3 - 4 chipotle chiles in adobo 4 tsp. minced garlic cloves 4 tsp. cumin 2 tsp. oregano 1 tsp. ground black pepper 1 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. ground cloves 2 T. vegetable oil 4 - 5 lb. chuck roast 3/4 c. chicken broth 3 bay leaves
Do you love Chipotle Mexican Grill like I do? This recipe for Slow Cooker Chipotle’s Barbacoa (CopyCat) tastes like the real deal. (plus you’ll have leftovers for days!) This is great on hard or soft tortillas and as with most Mexican food, pairs well with fresh Guacamole! Enjoy!
- Adobo Sauce recipe: Combine vinegar, lime juice, chipotles, garlic, cumin, oregano, black pepper, salt and cloves in a food processor or blender on High speed until smooth.
- Trim most of the fat from the roast and cut into large chunks (approximately 6).
- heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear all sides of the roast until browned.
- Transfer browned roast into slow cooker and pour adobo sauce over top.
- Add in the chicken broth and bay leaves.
- Cover. Cook for 6 hours on High or 8 hours on Low.
- Once crocking is complete, shred the roast with two forks while in the slow cooker and then turn to warm setting. Serve on hard or soft tortilla shells with your favorite toppings.
Serving Suggestions: Tortillas, rice, black or pinto beans, cheese, pico de gallo, guacamole, and sour cream.
For over 450 more Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!
Jenn, I was just looking at the lunch crocks and thought they were great, but most work places have a microwave….if it came with a plug that you could use in your car I bet it would be an even better hit. My husband climbs trees all day and in this cold weather he would take soup or hot leftovers if he could plug the crock into the work truck. Bet a lot of men that work outside would do that. What do ya think? Possibility???
Joni, we have a few truckers that say they use them in their trucks, but I am not sure if they use them through the lighter or they actually have a plug in that they use. You may want to check on this! Hope it helps! Happy Crocking!
Jenn, we just had someone post about the lunch crock: here it is! Yeah! “I just bought a car cigarette lighter plug version of this! My boyfriend is on the road all day for work and now he doesn’t have to eat lunch meat everyday anymore.” Happy to share with you! 🙂
This was very good. I made it without changing anything and it was great. I’m keeping this recipe and am going to continue making! Thanks
if you’re going to blend/process the garlic cloves, do you need to mince them in the first place? When I make pesto I just throw the whole cloves in there, so I think if I make this recipe I’ll try that. not as easy to measure, but I can estimate.
I threw the garlic in whole and it was fine. Delicious recipe! I halved it and it was a bit too much sauce. Excellent flavor.
[…] Slow Cooker Chipotle’s Barbacoa Copycat from Get Crocked – You will be amazed by the simple ingredients and steps in this Chipotle copycat recipe. […]
This looks so easy and delicious! What could be better? We just included the recipe in our blog post round up found here http://www.cheapeatsthriftycrafts.com/save-money-cheap-copycat-recipes!