Cooking Time:6 hours on Low
Ingredients2 T. olive oil 1/4 c. whole wheat flour 4 c. chicken or vegetable broth, low sodium (vegetable or vegetarians) 10 oz. broccoli, frozen 3 c. cheddar cheese, shredded 1 garlic clove, minced Salt and Pepper to taste
Love Broccoli Cheddar Soup, and this one is so easy to make, and very tasty!
- Place the olive oil in a skillet and whisk in the flour with the oil.
- Next, add in the broth and whisk well so there are no flour lumps.
- Pour the entire mixture into a slow cooker, adding in the broccoli.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6 hours.
- OPTIONAL step: Blend the soup by using a hand held stick blender to puree some of the large broccoli florets. This thickens the broth and makes the soup smoother.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese. Continue stirring until all cheese is melted and mixed well in the soup. (reserve remaining cheese for topping)
Serve with some steamed broccoli on top, and sprinkle with cheese.