Cooking Time:4-5 hours
Ingredients1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, small, chopped
15 oz. beans, pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
10 oz. tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
2 1/4 oz. olives, black, drained
2 tsp. chili powder, or to taste
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
3 dashes hot pepper sauce
4 flour tortillas, (8")
12 oz. cheese, Mexican blend, shredded
Optional; fresh cilantro, for garnish
Wanted to share this recipe from Peter H.. I was inspired by his Mexican dish that he won honors with on the Delish Slow Cooker recipe contest! YUMMY and just in time for Super Bowl! (I cut them into small bit size pieces with more tortillas for an appetizer.)
- Cover the the bottom of your 5 quart slow cooker with heavy duty foil cut into strips and placed in a crisscross pattern, so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Push foil against sides, folding over the top edge of the slow cooker.
- Spray strips generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brown beef and onion in a skillet until meat is no longer pink, about 7–8 minutes, stirring; drain excess fat.
- Combine beans, tomatoes and chilies, olives, chili powder, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and mix into beef mixture.
- Put 1 tortilla in bottom of slow cooker. Optional: For additional flavor you can lightly brown the tortilla in a skillet.
- Add about 1 2/3 cups meat mixture and top with 1/4 cup cheese. OR less meat sauce and repeat more layers of tortillas topped with cheese.
- Repeat layering three times using remaining meat mixture and cheese, finishing with cheese.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 4 to 5 hours, until heated through.
- With foil strip handles, lift the tortilla stack to a platter. Cut into four wedges.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
Serve with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, and tomatoes, if desired.