Cooking Time:8–9 hours on Low, and 1/2 — 3/4 hours on High
Ingredients4 lb. chuck roast
3 c. water
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. sesame seeds
2 beef bouillon cubes
3 pepperoncini peppers, seeded and sliced
1–2 onions, medium, sliced thin (optional)
2 tsp. fennel seed
Salt and pepper to taste
2 bell peppers, green, sliced and seeded
1/4 c. pepperoncini juice
1 to 2 beef broth, canned (if needed) (14 oz. size)
Hot crusty Italian beef buns or hard rolls
1 bay leaf
Slow Cooker Chicago Style Italian Beef for Sandwiches are the best. Great to serve for the perfect football game, like the SuperBowl!
- Place chuck roast and water in slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 8 to 9 hours, until meat is tender.
- Remove roast from the slow cooker, and shred with two forks removing all fat.
- Return shredded meat back to the slow cooker. Add bay leaf.
- Combine oregano, sesame seeds, beef bouillon cubes, pepperoncini, onions, fennel seed (do not omit this), salt and pepper, green peppers and pepperoncini juice from peppers.
- NOTE: If you need more broth than was in the slow cooker, add 1 to 2 cans of beef broth to the meat.
- Cover. Cook for an additional 30–45 minutes on High to heat through.
With slotted spoon, serve on hot crusty Italian beef buns or hard rolls, Chicago Style! Preserve broth for dipping if you would like!