Cooking Time:8-9 hours on Low, and 1/2 - 3/4 hours on High
Ingredients4 lb. chuck roast
3 c. water
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. sesame seeds
2 beef bouillon cubes
3 pepperoncini peppers, seeded and sliced
1-2 onions, medium, sliced thin (optional)
2 tsp. fennel seed
Salt and pepper to taste
2 bell peppers, green, sliced and seeded
1/4 c. pepperoncini juice
1 to 2 beef broth, canned (if needed) (14 oz. size)
Hot crusty Italian beef buns or hard rolls
1 bay leaf
Slow Cooker Chicago Style Italian Beef for Sandwiches are the best. Great to serve for the perfect football game, like the SuperBowl!
- Place chuck roast and water in slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 8 to 9 hours, until meat is tender.
- Remove roast from the slow cooker, and shred with two forks removing all fat.
- Return shredded meat back to the slow cooker. Add bay leaf.
- Combine oregano, sesame seeds, beef bouillon cubes, pepperoncini, onions, fennel seed (do not omit this), salt and pepper, green peppers and pepperoncini juice from peppers.
- NOTE: If you need more broth than was in the slow cooker, add 1 to 2 cans of beef broth to the meat.
- Cover. Cook for an additional 30-45 minutes on High to heat through.
With slotted spoon, serve on hot crusty Italian beef buns or hard rolls, Chicago Style! Preserve broth for dipping if you would like!