Cooking Time:6–8 hours on LOW
Ingredients1 clove of garlic
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 lb. ground beef, browned
1/2 onion, chopped
2 — 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
2 — 10 oz. cans of rotel
6 oz. tomato sauce
2 to 3 T. chili powder
8 oz. beer (or water)
salt & pepper to taste
1 bag of Hurst Pinto Beans
I call this recipe “Mom’s Favorite Chili” because it is my new favorite slow cooker chili recipe! I like chili and I especially like when it’s super flavorful with lots of beans so I was thrilled when Hurst Beans offered to send me some beans to create a new recipe AND sponsor a giveaway to all the loyal followers of GetCrocked.com. How could I resist? So away I went in my kitchen with one intention — to create MY favorite slow cooker chili. Well I did, and here it is!
TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY: (sorry the entry period has passed)
— EMAIL your favorite chili recipe (and a picture if you have it) to crockpotgirl (at) getcrocked.com with the subject “CHILI RECIPE” or message me through Facebook.
I’ve posted all the entries on my Facebook page and the recipe with the most “likes” will receive a prize pack including a 6-pack of Hurst’s HamBeens® PLUS Crock-Pot 6–1/2-Quart Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel! (I’ll even select a few participants at random to win Crock-Pot lunch crocks and seasoning packets just for fun!)
Mom’s Favorite Chili Recipe:
- Saute onion and garlic in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef and season with salt & pepper. Cook until just a bit of pink remains.
- Meanwhile, mix 2–3 tablespoons of chili powder into 8 ounces of beer and let sit. (can use water if you don’t have beer)
- Transfer meat mixture to a plate lined with a paper towel and drain the fat (can also use a colander if preferred).
- Wash & drain beans.
- Place meat mixture in a large slow cooker.
- Pour beans over meat mixture and top with beer/chili powder mix.
- Put remaining ingredients in the slow cooker and mix well — make sure all beans are covered with liquid.
- Cover and Crock on LOW for 6–8 hours.
Serve in bowls with your favorite chili toppings. I like cheese and a dab of sour cream on mine!