Cooking Time:2 hours
Ingredients5 c. old fashioned, rolled oats (GF - Gluten Free)
3/4 c. raw honey
3/4 c. butter, melted
1 T. flax seeds
1/4 c. slivered almonds
1/4 c. raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 c. raw sunflower seeds
1/4 c. unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
1/2 c. raisins, dried cranberries or GF chocolate chips
GREAT HOLIDAY GIFT!
Granola is so versatile, healthy, and hearty! I like using this granola over plain yogurt, as a cereal, or even a late-night snack. A note about oats: Oats are gluten free however there could be issues with cross-contamination if they are grown near wheat in the field. If you truly need gluten free for health reasons, be sure the oats you buy say “gluten free” on the packaging to be safe. These are the oats I use for this recipe.
NOTE: This is a flexible recipe so alter it to your liking or to incorporate what you have on-hand. As a rule of thumb, you should add a total of 1 & 1/4 cup of your chosen combination of dried fruit & nuts.
- Assemble all dry ingredients, and add to a 4 quart or larger crock.
- Melt butter in microwave or on stovetop and stir in honey until well combined.
- Pour honey-butter over oat mixture in crock.
- Toss to coat well.
- Cover but keep lid cracked to allow steam to escape.
- Crock on HIGH 2 hours, stirring often. (it can burn if you don’t stir enough)
- Keep an eye on the granola to make sure it is not burning!
- Spread granola out on cookie sheets to cool then store in an air-tight container.
- Makes about 7 cups of granola. (21 — 1/3 cup servings)