Cooking Time:30 minutes to 2 hours
Ingredients2 c. flour 1 c. cornstarch 1 c. salt 1/4 c. cream of tartar 2 c. hot water 2 tsp. oil
The kiddos are going to love it when you make them PLAY DOUGH in the slow cooker! Make this anytime – its easy and most of the time you likely have these ingredients on hand. Enjoy!
- Combine and stir the dry ingredients together and place in the slow cooker.
- Pour in water and oil and mix well.
- Cover. Cook on LOW for 30 minutes and stir, until it forms a ball.(Cooking time will vary, as every slow cooker heats a little differently. You will want to watch this closely to make sure it does not dry out.)
- Transfer dough from the slow cooker to a clean, dry surface.
- Let cool for a few minutes as it will be too hot to handle, then knead the dough. (Divide if you would like to make a few different colors.) FUN!
- Drop food coloring of your choice on top of the kneaded dough.
- Cover hands with plastic gloves to keep the coloring off your hands, and knead until the dough is thoroughly mixed with the food coloring.
- Place in air-tight containers for storage.
NOTE: If sticky, add a little cornstarch, and if dry add a little water.
Optional: Divide the dough to make different colors if you would like!
For over 400 more recipes, click here to get my eBook “Get Crocked: The Definitive Guide to Slow Cooking”
Another idea, in place of the food coloring: use a packet of kool-aid! The colors are more vibrant & it smells good too!
Thanks Amy for the tip! Great idea!
Are you going to do a homepage feature on your best autumn recipes again, like you did last year? 🙂
Thanks for the request Amy! I’m sure I will! I’ll get the Crocktober Challenge going, and I’ll be sure to do that! 🙂
[…] DIY Play Dough from GetCrocked […]
I have made this several times. I made it for the art teacher last year who uses it with special ed kids in the middle school and high school. It lasted the whole year. When is starts getting dry just need some water into it until it feels like you like it. She even has added essential oils to it once in a while. Best play doh recipe there is. My grandkids were here a couple weeks ago and we made it last summer and they hadn’t been here since Thanksgiving last year and it was still good.