Cooking Time:8–9 hours on Low or 6 hours on High
Ingredients1 package Pinto HamBeens®
8 c. chicken broth (64 oz.)
1 smoked ham hock (can substitute 1/2 lb. of smoked sausage)
1 onion, large, diced
7 oz. chipotle’s in adobo sauce, canned (these can be found in Hispanic section of grocery)
15 oz. can of pumpkin (just pure pumpkin, NOT pie mix)
2 T. Chili powder
1 tsp. all-spice
Salt and Pepper to taste
My friends at Hurst Beans sent me this recipe for Pumpkin Pinto Chili and it sounds delicious! This Halloween, I’m in a new neighborhood where everyone serves food and goodies to the adults who take the kids trick-or-treating. This is on my Halloween menu! (double batch) I think pumpkin is great in just about anything.…what do you think?
- In a colander or sieve, rinse and sort through the pinto beans. Check for any unwanted debris and discard.
- Pour rinsed beans into a 4–6 quart slow cooker. Add ham hock, diced onion, & chicken stock.
- Strain the adobo sauce from the can of chipotle’s and add all of the sauce into the pot.
- Depending on the level of “spice” you desire, chop individual chipotle’s and add into the pot.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 8 — 9 hours or on High for 6 hours.
- After the beans are tender, remove the bone from the ham hock and add the ham back into the pot.
- Stir in the pumpkin, chili powder, & all-spice. Cook on low for additional 30 minutes, then keep warm until ready to serve.