Cooking Time:1 hour 15 minutes — 9 hours — Depending what method you use for the beans!
Ingredients3 T. olive oil, (divided)
1 large onion, diced
4 clove garlic, minced
1 lb. spicy linguica sausage, sliced — (Optional)
42 oz. white kidney beans (cannelloni) (3 cans) or 1 lb. of dry, soaked navy beans overnight. Wash and Rinse Well! *See NOTE!
2 celery stalks,diced
2 large carrots, diced
1 c. parsley, italian,chopped
1 bunch kale, fresh, chopped, stems removed, leaves only
4 qt. chicken broth, low salt (if you would like to make homemade) *See Recipe on my site
2–3 bay leaves, dried
1/2 tsp. rosemary, dried
1/4 tsp. thyme, dried
3/4 T. salt, if needed
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 pt. romano cheese, fresh, grated for serving
There is something about Sausage, White Bean and Kale Soup that just gives me that comfort feeling. Hope you like this comfort soup too! *Easy to convert this delicious soup for Vegetarians.
- Place 1 1/2 T. of olive oil in a skillet and saute’ the onions and garlic in the olive oil, just until slightly browned, then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the remainder of the olive oil in the same skillet and place the sliced Linguica sausage to brown on each side, about 5 minutes.(Sausage Optional)
- Transfer the browned sausage to the slow cooker.
- Pour in a splash of the chicken broth to scrape up the brown bits of sausage and also transfer this to the slow cooker.
- Next add all of the vegetables EXCEPT the kale. The Kale will go in last because it doesn’t take long to cook and you want it to be green.
- Add the beans, stock, spices and herbs.
- Cover. Crock on High for one hour. *See note below for Healthier Version
- Approximately ten to fifteen minutes before it’s done, add the kale. The kale will go in last because it doesn’t take long to cook and you don’t want to loose the nutrients.
Serve with generous amounts of freshly grated Romano cheese or another grated cheese that you would prefer. And… with fresh slices of warm bread and butter! The Best!
* OPTIONAL: Sausage can be omitted for vegetarians and chicken broth substituted with vegetable broth, or if you don’t have Sausage on hand. But it is good with the sausage.
NOTE: For Healthier Version — If you would like to use a bag of fresh navy beans (1 lb. bag) instead of the canned cannelloni beans, you must soak them overnight, wash and clean them, and you will need to crock them in water for 6–8 hours on Low before you assemble your soup.