Cooking Time:6 - 8 hours on Low
Ingredients1 1/2 lb. round steak or stew meat, cubed
2 T. coconut oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. basil
2 tsp. garlic powder
32 oz. beef broth
6 c. water
14.5 oz. diced tomatoes
4 stalks celery, chopped
6 carrots, chopped
1 green pepper, diced
1 c. barley
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. dried thyme
Sometimes you just want a COMFORT Soup that is full of flavor and that everyone in the family will like. Slow Cooker Beef and Barley is just PERFECT!
- Season beef with salt and pepepr.
- Heat oil over medium heat and brown the beef on all sides.
- Transfer to a 6-Quart slow cooker.
- Pour just a little bit of the beef broth or water into the skillet and scrape up the browned bits. Add these to the slow cooker.
- Add the broth, water, tomatoes, celery, carrots, green pepper, garlic powder and barley to the slow cooker.
- Stir and Cover. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables and barley are tender.
- Add the parsley and thyme then cover and cook for an 15 additional minutes on LOW. (Optional)
NOTE: Easy to convert to VEGETARIAN by omitting the beef, and substituting the Beef Broth for Vegetable Broth.