Cooking Time:3-4 Hours on LOW
Ingredients2 lb. Lean Ground Beef or Bison
1/2 c. Salsa
1/4 c. Water
2 T. Chili Powder
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 tsp. Pepper
1 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp. Oregano
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Paprika (smoked paprika is good, too!)
Dash of Red Pepper Flakes, or more if desired
There is a misconception that you can’t make ground beef in a slow cooker but guess what? You can! Simply start with lean ground beef (10% fat or less) or lean ground bison. In this recipe, I used ground bison. Since you won’t be able to drain the fat before mixing in seasonings and enjoying this delicious taco meat, it is very important to start with lean meat.
- Place meat in a 3–4 quart Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker.
- Sprinkle salt & pepper and other seasonings over beef.
- Use a spoon to break meat up into large chunks.
- Add water and salsa. Lightly stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3–4 Hours. Before serving, use a wooden spoon to further crumble meat into smaller pieces.
- Use for tacos, burritos, for taco salads or nachos.