Cooking Time:6–8 Hours on LOW
1 Onion, sliced
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
2 tsp. Garlic Powder
32 oz. Vegetable Broth
6 c. Water
14.5 oz. Diced tomatoes, petite
4 Stalks Celery, chopped
4 Carrots, chopped
6 Green Onions, chopped
1/2 c. Fresh Parsley, chopped
1 c. Barley
1 tsp. Dried Thyme (Optional)
Do you want a delicious soup so full of flavor that everyone in the family will love it? Slow Cooker Vegetarian Barley Soup is the soup for you!
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high and add onions, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Saute until onions are almost translucent.
- Place onion mixture in large oval slow cooker.
- Pour 1/4 c. of the vegetable broth into the skillet and heat for a minute. Stir to scrape up the browned bits and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the broth, water, tomatoes, celery, carrots, green onions, parsley and barley to the slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables and barley are tender.
- Add the thyme just before serving.