- 6 c. cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 c. fresh bread crumbs (place sliced bread in blender to crumb)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 c. chopped walnuts
- vanilla ice cream for serving
National Apple Brown Betty day is celebrated on October 5th each year. This recipe is delicious and so easy to make!
- Coat slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place apples in bottom.
- Combine bread crumbs, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, brown sugar, butter and walnuts. Spread over apples.
- Cover. Cook on Low 3 to 4 hours or on High 2 hours.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping, also good served cold.